On National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we’re sharing our family recipe for chocolate chip cookies sprinkled with sea salt. Save this one; you’ll want to make these over and over again!!
1/2 pound (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet.
2. Cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy.
3. Add whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
4. Sift dry ingredients together and stir in, mixing thoroughly.
5. Add chocolate chips to batter and form cookies by using a SMALL ice cream scoop or spoon. These cookies spread, so make small balls of batter!
6. Place 2 rows of three cookies on each sheet and sprinkle each cookie with a bit of coarse sea salt. Don't skip this -- it makes all of the difference!
7. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or just until outside edges are brown.
8. Cool on sheet for 5 minutes and transfer cookies to cooling racks.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.