Mexican Wedding Cookies
Happy Cinco de Mayo! We're honoring this holiday and Mexican culture as we do every year ... in the kitchen baking Mexican Wedding cookies. They're buttery, nutty, so delicious, and so simple to make. We make ours with pecans, but you can use any nut -- walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, pine nuts -- to create the flavor you desire.
1 cup butter
3 TBSP powdered sugar plus extra for rolling baked cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Using a food processor, stand mixer, or hand blender, cream the butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Gradually stir in the flour and ground nuts.
2. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and quickly roll into bite-sized balls (about 1 inch in diameter) taking care not to overwork the dough.
5. Place the balls on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
6. Remove from the oven and set on cooling rack until cool enough to handle, but still warm. While warm, roll the cookies in powdered sugar until completely coated.